Monday, March 10, 2008

My Recollections of Grandpa Martineau

By Annis Leatham

To me Grandpa Martineau was sweet, kind, honest and brave. When I was small I would crawl all over him, play with his mustache and comb his hair by the hour. He had the patience of Job and I loved to be around him.
I remember my mother telling of his honesty and I know how brave he was, because when our two families took homesteads at Tetonia the land we settled was open government range and had been used by a certain family to graze their cattle. One day they came with guns and loud voices to tell Grandpa he had to move or they would shoot him. Grandpa picked up a stick and held it behind his back while he explained to them that he didn’t want any trouble, but he was there legally and had as much right to the land as they did. Paying no attention to their shouting and swearing, he spoke quietly and politely and after awhile they went away and left him alone. I’m sure he sought the Lord’s help at this critical time.
He loved music and had a beautiful bass voice. He loved to put on pageants for the boys and girls at the Industrial School for Flag Day. I remember hearing about two of them. One had an Indian theme and one was Hawaiian.
He was a loving husband and father. He used to tell Grandma how beautiful she was. No sacrifice was too great for his family. I am very proud that I had the privilege of being his granddaughter. (16)

No comments: